Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Quest For Something Greater

"Bisi" on the road early in NYC for a great day of photography.  
By Oluwasegun Bisi Alawode

Early phone image.   photo by Bisi Alawode
It was a beautiful sunny day; I had gone with my friend to the sport arena of my university - Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Oyo State, Nigeria: which also doubles as the photo centre of the whole school.

Students do go there after a long day to take some photos, with one of the several photo booth operators trying to get you to take your portrait with them. I had never been a fan of going there to take pictures as I was always put off by the awkward way we were told to pose by the supposedly pro photographers - to them it was a source of livelihood and not a medium of artistic expression. 

As I stood with my friend observing the beautiful vista/ landscape that surrounds the area, I was captivated by the artistic splendour of the deep blue sky and its blend with the vibrant green vegetation. 

Early phone image.   photo by Bisi Alawode
I was lost in my own little world, and I wasn’t aware of the activities going on around me. I kept staring; I wanted that moment to last forever. I had to whisper to my friend who had dragged me there to lend me his phone so I could use its camera to keep this beauty I just discovered with me. Little did I know that this was going to be the beginning of a quest for something greater.

From that day forth, my attention was always drawn to the sky; the feeling could only be compared to when you just get a new car and go out the next day and you seem to see the car everywhere. I discovered a new life, a new passion and a new experience.

Early phone image.   photo by Bisi Alawode
Eight years later, I found myself studying for a diploma in photography in a country over 10,000 kilometres from my home country: I embarked on not just a journey but an adventure - the story of the photo of the sky just keeps unfolding. Here I am in a class where I stand out like a brown egg in the midst of white eggs. The feeling was exhilarating and I was open to learn and meet new people.

Over the course of my 2 years at Lambton College studying Digital Photography, I have had a rewarding experience: from the people I have met, to the person I have become, and the skills I have learnt and developed. Being a people person, I have come to value the importance of relationship. 

My class has become a safe haven, which I can call home. I am inspired by how much each individual has developed and grown fond of one another. I have come to admire how each of our strengths and weaknesses makes a rhythm that flows seamlessly. We have learnt from one another not just the skills and art of photography but the attitude to forge ahead TOGETHER. Sometimes I wonder what it will be like when we finish our school year.

The past 2 years of my life have really begun a defining moment in my photography journey. I eagerly look forward to what the future holds for each one of us. I see an army of talented and passionate photographers that will make a difference with their God-given talent and learnt skills. There is an adage in Nigeria that says “20 children can’t plays together for 20 years”. When the drum rolls and we all go our separate ways I know that each passing day I (WE) will be reminded of how far I (WE) have come…


Oluwasegun Bisi’ Alawode is a second year student of Digital Photography at Lambton College. His goal is to use the power and art of photography to inspire people. He loves portrait and wedding photography. See more of his works here: www.bisialawode.com

Recent work from Lambton Digital Photography student Bisi Alawode
Recent work from Lambton Digital Photography student Bisi Alawode
Recent work from Lambton Digital Photography student Bisi Alawode
Recent work from Lambton Digital Photography student Bisi Alawode
Recent work from Lambton Digital Photography student Bisi Alawode
Recent work from Lambton Digital Photography student Bisi Alawode
Recent work from Lambton Digital Photography student Bisi Alawode




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post comments on our postings. Please have respect for our students and faculty, any inappropriate remarks will be deleted.