Wednesday, April 22, 2020

THE INSPIRATION

By: Jaswinder Kaur

When I completed my high school diploma, I did not know that I would choose photography as a profession. I liked taking photographs as a hobby; my thoughts for taking photography as a profession were different at that time. I thought, “I can’t do this” or “I can’t take good pictures.”

Two years ago, when I thought of studying abroad, I applied to Hospitality Management at Lambton College, Sarnia, and accidentally I got admission to Photography Program here at Lambton College. This was a frustrating situation for me. I tried to withdraw from this program, as I said earlier, I was not in favour of photography at that time. I did not have an option to leave this program because I already had paid a chunk of money and had a study visa on behalf of this program, so I decided to continue the photography program. At this stage, my parents suggested that” you will learn something useful, which is better than doing nothing.” The day I accepted the offer to photography program was the day I changed my mind. I told myself I was ready for the challenge.

The Oculus. New York City U.S.A. October24, 2019.

After that, I came here to Canada. Then I met with digital photography co-ordinator and great concert photographer Mr. Richard Beland during orientation, which was a special moment for me. I told him about the matter and my nervousness. After listening to me, he said, “Don’t worry, you will enjoy photography.” I did not even have an idea about which camera I should buy or what kind of other equipment I needed. But he helped me with everything. He inspired me a lot for taking an interest in photography, and he was right. I started from scratch without knowing the rules of photography. Now my interest in photography is increasing with every passing day, and I am enjoying it.

In the first year of the program,  as I followed through the lessons, I learned some basic knowledge about lighting techniques, photographic techniques, editing skills, dealing with different clients, graphic design and much more. I started growing at this stage.



Once in the second- year of the program, we not only got an opportunity to know more about those things we learned in first year but also gained knowledge about printing, selling prints, galleries, portfolio development, and writing for media. All this combined gave us the big kick towards being photographers. We also went on the annual second-year New York City trip, where we captured so many good pictures. This trip helped me learn how to photograph subjects creatively and be aware of what things are essential to consider inside the photograph. I am proud of the work I did while in this wonderful program.

Central Park, New York City U.S.A. October 26th, 2019. 



I thank Richard Beland and the Lambton College Photography program for their significant contribution to making me a good photographer and changing my thoughts about photography as a profession.

Manpreet Kaur Brar feeling pleased at Lambton College
 Photography Studio, London Road, Sarnia, Ontario, Thursday, 
February 5, 2020.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post comments on our postings. Please have respect for our students and faculty, any inappropriate remarks will be deleted.